Didja Feel The Music of...Philip Bailey




In the late 1960s into the 1970s a number of R&B and rock groups broke up the monogamous relationship I’d had for years with jazz. The thing is, I didn’t think of it as really cheating because the bands and voices I was discovering incorporated jazz into their sound.

Blood, Sweat & Tears was the start of this flirtation. There were fine jazz players associated with the group such as trumpet and flugelhorn players Randy Brecker and Jerry Weiss, drummer Bobby Colomby, and Fred Lipsius on sax and keyboards so it’s easy to understand the attraction.  Then, the first Chicago album came on the scene and I was caught sharing my time with both bands.  Soon, though, my head was turned completely by Santana—jazz/rock/blues with Latin rhythms so intoxicating this music just swept me away.

But, suddenly, soul and R&B entered my life big time. Call me fickle but such voices as Bobby Smith and Philippe´ Wynne of the Spinners were too good not to fall for; and Daryl Hall, whose blue-eyed soul reached deep inside of me, totally captured my heart. This music added a depth and breadth to the feeling I had always nurtured for jazz and before I knew what was happening, it built to a consuming love affair with Earth, Wind & Fire and the incomparable voice of Philip Bailey.

Philip brings a great amalgamation of many genres to his music—gospel, soul, R&B, funk, jazz.  What he produces is a sound uniquely his own, and one that melds so richly with the other fine talents who make up Earth, Wind & Fire. As a whole, the group’s music takes hold of me, body and soul, from first note to last.

Hear it for yourself as you listen to “Reasons.”  Yes, the soul is blended with the funky rhythm and the gospel singer is felt in some of the notes reaching sweetly and seductively to the sky.  Yet, jazz is predominant as Philip scats to an audience member, playing a bit with the “...sweet and gentle” music line from the standard “When Lights Are Low.”  Following that, the saxophone solo by Gary Bias is a sexy jazz improvisation. Finally, voice and sax come together as two finely played instruments reaching a jazzy crescendo to Philip’s superb finale.       

Then, showcasing more of Philip Bailey’s jazz abilities here is his take on “Moondance”.

1 comment:




  1. David Benders commented on a link you shared.

    David wrote: "Great. Nice. Another fine of words on music. Really it's not easy to do. I wish more folk would take an attempt at it...you are leading the way here! From time to time you have expressed your opinion thta you enjoy the way I write - but now I have to say "right back at cha!" Here are some choice line skimmed from these essays that make them charming to (and easy) to read.
    To quote: "music that is 'meat-on-these-bones freshness' " "good musicians are good story tellers" "He writes some of the jazziest lyrics" "blue-eyed soul reached deep inside of me, totally captured my heart. This music added a depth and breadth to the feeling I had always nurtured for jazz and before I knew what was happening, it built to a consuming love affair."
    Keep it up!"



    ReplyDelete