Didja Feel The Music of…Monika Lidke


Monika Lidke
Photo via: @MonikaLidke


Music is integrated into my days and nights. I listen to the harmonic voices of birds at dawn and the countermelodies of frogs and owls in the evening. When writing and recording my own tunes, I often wake up in the middle of the night with lyrics running through my mind. Of course, there are the songs of others that most often fill the air. They are all types of genres by artists from many different countries. The only thing they have in common is that the music is written and performed with skill and passion and, especially important to me, the musicians and singers have their own style and sound.

Yesterday, I played a new CD; one that I’d heard a couple of tracks from before, and couldn’t wait to listen to as a whole. The songs are originals by singer/songwriter/musician, Monika Lidke. Most are sung in English with a few in French and her native tongue, Polish. All are in Monika’s unique style.

When she sings, I feel I’ve been invited to gather around and get comfy while she tells a few stories. Stories of living and loving and taking chances on both those things and, even when it hurts, living and loving again.

The music has a bit of folk with a nice jazzy underpinning. I love her phrasing, timing, and the warm tones she can achieve. She can sing snappily, jauntily, all the while with an outstanding control of voice and composition. She does some neat maneuvering on individual notes that knocks me out. There is a lovely lilt and ease to her singing that is identifiable to her, and in this time of homogenization and copycat, she is real. 

The musicians are, every one, top notch; each adding a fine talent and creative interpretation to the recording. Bring a touch of their music into your day or night and listen to “They say” from the new CD, If I was to describe you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7hGo9X5cI8


2 comments:

  1. do agree, mulligan's catch as catch can has been a fav of mine for years. speaking of favorites, where do I find you latest CD. Really want to put it between girl from ipenema and mark murphys mlestones. Incidentally saw mark at the Syracuse jazz fest a couple years. bobby jones was also in attendance (another guy who never got due recognition).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gordy--so great to hear from you and that is one heck of a wonderful compliment you have paid my music!!

      Delete