Didja Feel The Music of...Guillemots


Dance, Music, Treble Clef, Sound


It’s exciting to feel the lyrics of a song that reach inside you with their strange imagery, and insight. Carefully crafted words that immediately touch something you seem to know, even when the exact meaning of the words is harder to fully understand. I love somewhat weird lines that make primal connections. There have been bands that specialize in this, while others hit upon it in one song or another. Whenever I hear such songs, it then is a treasure hunt to the finish to get hold of the lyrics and dig for the hidden meanings.
Guillemots is a musical group, whose lyrics clutch my emotions whether telling of friendship lost, the self explored, the world-as-is questioned, or the love-against-all-odds discovered and held on to for all you’re worth. They are high-caliber talents creating songs with words and melodies intensely and cleverly combined to make you listen and think and listen some more.
The group—indie rock, pop, with jazz and classical undertones—has been around since the early 2000s and is international in makeup, with the original members, three men and one woman, coming from England, Scotland, Brazil and Canada. They enjoy improvising and taking chances with shifting styles and rhythms and forms. I find each of their albums adventurous and can admire the most pop-flavored offerings because they take even the usual to an unusual presentation.
Their first three albums are represented here in a sharing of some lyrics and a link to the full songs. I hope you’ll take them in as well as allow yourselves to be taken into them to experience the pleasures, pains, and passions of it all.           

“Annie, Let’s Not Wait” from Through The Windowpane 

I found something crying; it was my soul
I fed it milk so it wouldn't grow old
We crossed the borderline at dawn
And woke up in a field of corn
My father told me I was late
I better start oiling the gate
Said that those that rush will fall
But I don't want to wait for waves
I don't want to wait at all
Annie, let's not wait
Let's cross the river now
We could sit for years
Staring at our fears
Oh they're such pretty things
They're so cute
But in the end they're just a suit
 

“I Don’t Feel Amazing Now” from Walk the River

I don't wanna play any games
Someone always loses and they usually share my name
Just take me out of here
Let me be your souvenir
Does it even matter where you go
If we're living for the window or the radio
Just take your medicine in silence
Take your medicine and write home
Just take my hand and stop the moonlight fading
Just take my hand and lead me up the stairs
Just take my hand and make me feel amazing
'Cos I don't feel amazing now

“Kriss Kross”  from Red

When the moon's in the sky I like it
When the moon's in the sky we like it
It's not gonna give us bad advice
So go and dance with your thunder and lightning
Where the paradise birds are fighting
Let's shake things up a bit tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment